I just had an excellent meal at the Green Gourmet in Newtown. At last I have found a really good vegetarian Chinese restaurant in Sydney. The proprietors were Malaysian some Chinese, one or two Muslims. They were pleasant and polite. The flavours were all subtle, which was a pleasant change to the brutal heavy handedness you get sometimes at Chinese places. We had:
- Better than oyster fritters - mushrooms wrapped in seaweed and then deep fried in batter. (*****)
- Sichuan Style Eggplant - eggplant deep fried in batter, but I was not convinced about the Sichuaness of the Sichuan sauce. (***)
- Ginger Sea Treasures - beancurd skins interleaved with seaweed with a sauce including shredded snow peas, carrot and ginger. (****1/2)
- Green Gourmet Fried Rice (****) I do not normally have fried rice , because the way Australians like it bad, not Chinese in style and steamed rice is better. This was good. Even better than the egg-flower type fried rice we had recently in Bondi Junction.
- Green Tea Moon Cake with Red Beans and Ginger Icecream (****) Excellent presentation, and good flavours, but I want more!
- Lotus Crape with Green Tea Icecream (***) Had a taste, it was ok.
"fried rice" by yewenyi [?]
"Ginger Sea Treasures" by yewenyi [?]
"Sichuan Style Eggplant" by yewenyi [?]
"Green Tea Moon Cake with Red Beans and Ginger Icecream" by yewenyi [?]
"Lotus Crape with Green Tea Icecream" by yewenyi [?]
Edit: 2007-07-01 I finally made the tea I purchased at this place on the night. It is excellent tea.