Sunday, February 10, 2008

Who do you think you are?

Last night on SBS was a TV show about AFL announcer Dennis Cometti. He and I share a great great great grand-mother - the convict Hannah Stanley. She is our direct line maternal grandmother. So all of my relatives, descended from Lorna Marks, are also cousins of Dennis.
We went down to Sutton Forest for a family reunion last year, as reorganized by SBS TV. Hannah is burried in the cemetery there. It was quite an interesting affair and I got to meet many people who I had previously only encountered online, while doing the family tree. I took lots of photos. A flash was not allowed as it mucks up the light sensors on the video equipment. Also I signed a non-disclosure agreement and promised not to tell people or publish my photos until after the show had aired. I have now put the photos on flickr.
Finally a plug for the people at SBS. I was very impressed by their organization skills and professionalism for the small part of the shows production that I was involved with. I was a bit concerned when I saw the TV shows that were produced in England with their general approach to the topics, but I think that the Australian version is a significant improvement on the originals and look forward to seeing the rest of the shows.

"Family Gathering" by yewenyi [?]
Family Gathering
"Family Gathering" by yewenyi [?]
Family Gathering
"Family Gathering" by yewenyi [?]
Family Gathering
"Family Gathering" by yewenyi [?]
Family Gathering

No comments: