- The camera does not like low light.
- I eventually was able to down load the map application and load the maps. This is a major improvement over the network supplied maps.
- I finally got skype to work and made my first skype call.
- The IM does not seem to work on this phone.
Saturday, June 30, 2007
Wednesday, June 27, 2007
- Mycardis for high blood pressure and
- Simvastatin for high cholesterol.
There are several reports concerning the effect of CoQ10 on blood pressure in human studies (for review: ). In a recent meta-analysis of the clinical trials of CoQ10 for hypertension a research group led by Professor FL Rosenfeldt (from the Cardiac Surgical Research Unit, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia) reviewed all published trials of Coenzyme Q10 for hypertension, assessed overall efficacy and consistency of therapeutic action and side effect incidence. Meta-analysis was performed in 12 clinical trials (362 patients) comprising three randomized controlled trials, one crossover study and eight open label studies. The research group concluded that coenzyme Q10 has the potential in hypertensive patients to lower systolic blood pressure by up to 17 mm Hg and diastolic blood pressure by up to 10 mm Hg without significant side effects. 
Coenzyme Q10 shares a common biosynthetic pathway with cholesterol. The synthesis of an intermediary precursor of Coenzyme Q10, mevalonate, is inhibited by some beta blockers, blood pressure lowering medication, and statins, a class of cholesterol lowering drugs. Statins can reduce serum levels of coenzyme Q10 Some research suggests the logical option of supplementation with coenzyme Q10 as a routine adjunct to any treatment which may reduce endogenous production of coenzyme Q10, based on a balance of likely benefit against very small risk. by up to 40%.
Monday, June 25, 2007
Sunday, June 24, 2007
I have the wireless lan functions set up reliably and predictably. Though some applications I keep on needing to type in my complicated security key each time I run a new application for the first time.
The GPS still thinks i am in Europe. This is my next task to fix.
Saturday, June 23, 2007
Friday, June 22, 2007
Thursday, June 21, 2007
1. Unpack and install - easy enough.
2. copy all the data off my old phone, took a while as I was using blue tooth and the phone has several audio, picture and video files.
3. Apple decided that my mac need an urgent update installed, so I install it hoping that the drivers for the new phone may be in the os update. They are not.
4. Try to sync with the new phone using isync. It fails - the phone is not a supported one. But I knew this and have a backup plan.
5. Log into Nokia - Asia. Well they think that the N95 does not exist. Though, interestingly, they will sell you accessories for the phone.
6. Try to log into the my nokia site as per the phone instruction book. It is still trying to load the page 20 minutes later.
7. Do a google search. Find the blog with the link to the Nokia supplied drivers. They are on a server in Europe.
8. Download and install the drivers. It works.
9. Run isync again. It loads lots of data and then claims to fail. However, looking at the phone, the data seems to be there. Well at least the calendar is. I need to work out how to see the phone numbers.
10. I found the contacts very easily. And yay the phone numbers are there. It asks me if I want to copy the numbers, I say yes. Is this a good decision? I do not know. Looking at the phone list, definitely a mistake. Now all the entires appear twice.
11. After a bit of stuffing around, I discover that there is an easy way to delete the entries, but I also discover that the buttons are really sensitive and keep on ending up in strange locations on the phone. At one stake it takes a while to discover the list of people again. But it is done!
12. Discover that magic icon - settings....
13. Put the phone on auto update for time, change the clock to 24 hour.
14. The phone comes with one song - in my heart by moby. Never heard it before. 4 minutes long, I am listening...
15. While I am listening to this strange song, put he dinky plastic display protector on the display.
16. Give up on the song.
17. Press the applications icon. The song has not stopped! That was a bit boring, but is has skype.
18. playing with all the other icons. Yay, the music stopped.
19. Connecting to my wireless lan router. Wishing I had not chosen a key that is so hard to enter on a mobile phone.
20. It said access denied! but then it worked. I dannae understand.
21. Took a while. I logged into my wireless router. No phone, but after a few attempts there is a phone. I logged into my home page at yahoo.com. Yay.
22. going to flikr now. A fuly blown web site works well on the phone. very small print but. It uses the same engine as safari, which I knew from my research. I wanted a real browser. yay.
23. Looking for the camera, not obvious from here. It's in applications!
24. Blast the real camera is operated by opening the lens. Duh!
25. sending the first picture, a photo of this blog, to flickr.
26. Still sending...
27. Sent, off to flickr to see the image. Not there yet. Sometimes they take a little while.
28. My nokia still has not loaded. Maybe I should try safari. (... safari did not work)
29. SRE is a game, not the video recorder.
30. The photo has uploaded. No gps data, but the GPS is turned off. I am inside. It is blurry. Way to close to the subject.
31. Sending the first video to blip TV.
32. Decided to take a better photo. But the camera moved into landscape mode. Hard to use the key pad in this mode. :-(
33. Photo still lousey. Video upload worked. Quality also poor. Need to look at the settings.
34. Had to manually set up the incoming email bit, username and password. Again it says it failed, but all the emails arrived.
35. Arranged to receive a SMS. this works ok.
36. Made a call. the call quality was excellent. But lots of strange little beeps. Maybe it was me?
enough for now.
Tuesday, June 19, 2007
"Takoyaki" by AugustusGloop [?]
"Karaage chicken" by AugustusGloop [?]
Monday, June 18, 2007
Thursday, June 14, 2007
Sunday, June 10, 2007
Saturday, June 09, 2007
- Better than oyster fritters - mushrooms wrapped in seaweed and then deep fried in batter. (*****)
- Sichuan Style Eggplant - eggplant deep fried in batter, but I was not convinced about the Sichuaness of the Sichuan sauce. (***)
- Ginger Sea Treasures - beancurd skins interleaved with seaweed with a sauce including shredded snow peas, carrot and ginger. (****1/2)
- Green Gourmet Fried Rice (****) I do not normally have fried rice , because the way Australians like it bad, not Chinese in style and steamed rice is better. This was good. Even better than the egg-flower type fried rice we had recently in Bondi Junction.
- Green Tea Moon Cake with Red Beans and Ginger Icecream (****) Excellent presentation, and good flavours, but I want more!
- Lotus Crape with Green Tea Icecream (***) Had a taste, it was ok.
"fried rice" by yewenyi [?]
"Ginger Sea Treasures" by yewenyi [?]
"Sichuan Style Eggplant" by yewenyi [?]
"Green Tea Moon Cake with Red Beans and Ginger Icecream" by yewenyi [?]
"Lotus Crape with Green Tea Icecream" by yewenyi [?]
Friday, June 08, 2007
- High speed on the windscreen wipers is simply not fast enough. I almost had to stop as I could not see out of the front window.
- Surprisingly the tyres handle better when there is a layer of water on the road (say a few cm) than the nissan xtrail. I think this is because of the better tread on the tyres.
- The traction control occasionally comes on because of wheel slip. Most often when crossing the kerb.
- The tyres have a hard compound. They are susceptible to slipping on slippery (perhaps oil covered) roads, more so than the xtrail with it's softer compound tyres.
Thursday, June 07, 2007
As your pictures of Newcastle Cathedral are available through PictureAustralia, I thought they would be ideal to use as examples of this kind of content for this group. Are you happy for me to show your picture of the inside of the cathedral (taken from the back behind the pews?)
very cool indeed,